What is NextGen?
Traditional Ministry is compartmentalized and does not smoothly transition children from one life stage to the next.
NextGen is intentional in its approach to transitioning students, creating synergy and equipping parents.
The Next Generations Ministry brings together Preschool, Children and Student Ministries (at the Loop) to accomplish three things:
- Smooth transitions from one stage to the next for parents and children.
- Aligned values and purposes that promote synergy between the stages of childhood to provide a better relationship between church and home.
- Focused energy on supporting and equipping parents to disciple well.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Grow @ Home
Grow@Home is a churchwide commitment to encourage spiritual growth at home. Spiritual training at home and regular attendance at Life Bible Study and Milestones at Houston’s First lay the foundation for a deep and lasting faith. The goal of NextGen Ministry is to aid families in becoming the primary disciplemakers of their children.
NextGen wants to help families of kids 18 and under to G@H through . . .
Events that celebrate the impact of growth at church and in the home.
Parent Commitment (infants through 12 months)
The Loop — Sun, May 17 and Oct 18
Cypress — Sun, May 10
Sienna — Sun, May 10
Contact: or 713-957-7612
1st Grade Bible Presentation
The Loop — Sun, May 17
Sienna — Sun, May 17
Contact: or 713-957-7621
Welcome to the HUB (kids entering 6th grade)
The Loop — Sun, Aug 16
Contact: or 713-957-7631
G@H Parent Path
A path of resources (books, classes, seminars and conferences) to equip parents to disciple their children.
Preschool (birth to K)
- Boundaries for Kids
- Growing Up Social
- Grace-Based Parenting
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart
Children’s (1st – 5th Grade)
- 5 Conversations You Must have with your Son/Daughter
- Impress Faith on Your Kids
- Raising Kids for True Greatness
- Visionary Parenting
Student’s (6th – 12th Grade)
- Accelerate: Parenting Teens Toward Adulthood
- Artificial Maturity
- Parenting by Design
- Tech Savvy Parenting
Seminars and Conferences
One-day or weekend events designed for parents to teach a value (service, purity, responsibility, etc.) in a way that is interactive and fun.
4th Grade: Passport 2 Purity — Spring 2016
8th Grade: Outback Texas — May 15-16, 2015
10th Grade: Rite of Passage Weekend — Spring 2016
Here’s our TOP Five list of how to start making disciples of your child:
- Use dinner time to pray and to talk about spiritual things.
- Encourage them to read their Bible (or read to them) each day and plan a weekly time to discuss what your family is learning.
- Ask how you can pray for them and then do!
- Encourage them to talk about their faith as part of their everyday experiences.
- Fall in love with Jesus yourself and share that experience with your son or daughter.
Resources for Parents
30 Day Calendar to Pray for your Children - Text "pray4kids" to 72717 to begin your journey!
Children (1st–5th Grade)
- Big Truths for Young Hearts – Bruce A. Ware
- The Blessing – Gary Smalley and John Trent
- Creative Correction – Lisa Whelchel
- Creative Family Prayer Times – Mike Nappa and Amy Nappa
- Five Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter – Vicki Courtney (PP)
- Five Conversations You Must Have With Your Son – Vicki Courtney (PP)
- The Five Love Languages of Children – Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell
- Have a new Kid By Friday – Kevin Leman
- How and When to Tell Your Kids about Sex: A Lifelong Approach to Shaping Your Child's Sexual Character – Brenna Jones and Stan Jones
- Impress Faith on your Kids – Mark Holmen (PP)
- Preparing for Adolescence: How to Survive the Coming Years of Change – James C Dobson
- Raising Kids for True Greatness – Tim Kimmell (PP)
- The Story of Me – Stan Jones, Brenda Jones and Joel Spector
- Visionary Parenting – Rob Rienow (PP)
- Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys – Steven James and David Thomas
Devotionals for Kids:
- God and Me!: Devotions for Girls Ages 6-9 – Diane Cory
- God and Me!: Devotions for Girls Vol. 2 Ages 6-9 – Diane Cory
- Gotta Have God: Devotions for Boys Ages 6-9 – Diane Cory
- Gotta Have God: Devotions for Boys Vol. 2 Ages 6-9 – Diane Cory
- God and Me!: Devotions for Girls Ages 10-12 – Linda M. Washington and Jeanette Dall
- God and Me!: Devotions for Girls Vol. 2 Ages 10-12 – Linda M. Washington and Jeanette Dall
- Gotta Have God: Devotions for Boys Ages 10-12 – Linda M. Washington and Jeanette Dall
- Gotta Have God: Devotions for Boys Vol. 2 Ages 10-12 – Michael Brewer
- Family Connect - Weekly email on Sundays from the First Kids Staff which contains: Iparent podcast and Life Bible Study material to help parents connect Sunday to Sunday. Email to start receiving this resource.
- Splink - It’s a FREE weekly email packed with ideas to help connect your family. Splinks are creative ways of interacting with your children through the use of faith talks, devotional starters and ideas for family time.
Teenagers (6th–12th Grade)
- Accelerate: Parenting Teenagers Toward Adulthood – Richard Ross (PP)
- Age of Opportunity – Paul David Tripp
- Artificial Maturity – Tim Elmore (PP)
- Confident Parenting – Jim Burns
- Faith Begins at Home – Mark Holmen
- The Five Love Languages of Teenagers – Gary Chapman
- Generation iY – Tim Elmore
- King Me – Steve Farrar (great resource for dads)
- Parenting by Design: Principles and Practice Workbook – Michelle and Chris Groff, and Lee Long (PP)
- Parenting with Kingdom Purpose – Ken Hemphill and Richard Ross
- Plugged-In Parenting - Bob Waliszewski (PP)
- Raising the Bar – Alvin Reid
- Visionary Parenting: Capture a God-Sized Vision for Your Family – Rob Rienow
- “Swimming Lessons: A Look at Baptism”
- Have questions about baptism? Check out Pastor Gregg’s message, “Swimming Lessons: A Look at Baptism” for some answers.
- 2013 Medical Release Form
- Matching Funds Form
- Scholarship Form
- Faith Begins At Home
- Homeward Ministries
- Center for Parent/Youth Understanding
- Focus on the Family - Teens
- Family Life
- Heritage Builders