Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy”
- Psalm 33:3
In a city that is known for its artistic expression and cultural diversity, it is our mission to develop the unique God-given talents of children and adults to their fullest potential for service in ministry, their profession, or simply for personal enjoyment.
Open to both church members and the public, SoFA draws upon Houston’s First’s foundation of exceptional music, dynamic programming, and a constant pursuit of excellence within a warm and welcoming environment.
It is our privilege to provide high-quality training in:
Sat, Mar 21 @ 11a-12p — The Loop (Rehearsal Hall)
SoFA is proud to host pro photographers Jack and Jackson Potts for "iPhonography," a smartphone photography master class and guided shoot. This event will take place March 21, beginning at 11am. The first hour is free, followed by an extended, in-depth session for $20 in advance. Spread the word and register Here!
Summer Registration is here!
Mon, Mar 23
- Runs 10 weeks: Jun 1st - Aug 7th
- Current students: contact SoFA to register
- New students: register online
Upcoming Dates and Deadlines
- Mar 21 — Iphonography event
- Mar 23— Summer Registration Begins!
- Apr 3 — Studio closed for Good Friday
- Apr 10 — Faculty Concert
- May 16 — Student Recitals
Why Study at SoFA?
- State of the art teaching studio/practice rooms designed by an acoustic engineer
- Outstanding faculty who are all active in performance
- Inside a safe, beautiful building with year round climate control and security
- Closed circuit cameras in each room monitored by the administrator and security officers
- 2 faculty concerts and 2 student recitals each year
- Convenient hours from 9am to 8pm
- Reception area for waiting parents and students with snacks, water, coffee and tea available
- Homework station for waiting students
- Centrally located with easy access at I-10 and 610 loop
Supporting the School
The School of Fine Arts Scholarship Fund directly benefits students in need of financial assistance. Over the course of SoFA’s existence we have given out over $20,000 in scholarship to students who otherwise could not have taken lessons. Each semester our Scholarship Committee meets and prayerfully considers the needs of our students and awards resources accordingly. Please consider how you might contribute to this program.
CONTACT if you are interested in investing in the lives of young musicians by supporting the School of Fine Arts Scholarship Fund, or visit the Musician’s Fund page to learn more about the legacy of Gerald and Trevelyn Ray and how it is impacting our future musicians.
The School of Fine Arts is located in the Rehearsal Hall (Level 2) at Houston's First Baptist Church, 7401 Katy Fwy, Houston, TX 77024.