In a city that is known for its artistic expression and cultural diversity, it is our mission to develop the unique God-given talents of children and adults to their fullest potential for service in ministry, their profession, or simply for personal enjoyment.
Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy
- Psalm 33:3
Open to both church members and the public, SoFA draws upon Houston’s First’s foundation of exceptional music, dynamic programming, and a constant pursuit of excellence within a warm and welcoming environment.
It is our privilege to provide high-quality training in:
Why Study at SoFA?
- State of the art teaching studio/practice rooms designed by an acoustic engineer
- Outstanding faculty who are all active in performance
- Inside a safe, beautiful building with year round climate control and security
- Closed circuit cameras in each room monitored by the administrator and security officers
- 2 faculty concerts and 2 student recitals each year
- Convenient hours from 9am to 8pm
- Reception area for waiting parents and students with snacks, water, coffee and tea available
- Homework station for waiting students
- Centrally located with easy access at I-10 and 610 loop
News & Events
Dates and Deadlines
- Jan 4 — Spring Semester Begins
- Jan 9 — 3 Hour Photography Class
- Feb 13, Feb 27 — 3 Hour Photography Class
- Mar 14–20 — Spring Break
- Mar 31 — Spring Faculty Concert
- May 14 — Student Recitals
- Jun 1 — Summer Semester Begins
As technology progresses, professional quality products are now in the hands of consumers. Unfortunately, too often the tools come without ... As technology progresses, professional quality products are now in the hands of consumers. Unfortunately, too often the tools come without ...
SoFA Photography Class
SoFA Photography Class
As technology progresses, professional quality products are now in the hands of consumers. Unfortunately, too often the tools come without ...
Supporting the School
The School of Fine Arts Scholarship Fund directly benefits students in need of financial assistance. Over the course of SoFA’s existence we have given out over $20,000 in scholarship to students who otherwise could not have taken lessons. Each semester our Scholarship Committee meets and prayerfully considers the needs of our students and awards resources accordingly. Please consider how you might contribute to this program.
CONTACT if you are interested in investing in the lives of young musicians by supporting the School of Fine Arts Scholarship Fund, or visit the Musician’s Fund page to learn more about the legacy of Gerald and Trevelyn Ray and how it is impacting our future musicians.
The School of Fine Arts is located in the Rehearsal Hall (Level 2) at Houston's First Baptist Church, 7401 Katy Fwy, Houston, TX 77024.
- Do you have a student handbook?
- Yes! If you don't have one yet, we'd be happy to give you one. Everything you would need to know about the school is in there.
- How much do lessons cost?
- 30 minute lessons (our most popular) are $35 apiece.
- How many lessons do we have to commit to?
- Once you begin lessons, you must continue until the end of the semester. If you need to discontinue lessons before then, we require a 30-day notice.
- Are there any other fees?
- There is a yearly registration fee of $25 and a recital fee each semester for $35 to help cover recital expenses.
- How do I schedule lessons?
- Once you register online, we will work with you and your teacher to find a lesson time that works for you.